The Taekwon-Do student oath is typically recited at the beginning of a class in Taekwon-Do, either with students repeating after the instructor, or in unison, students and the instructor speaking at the same time.
The purpose of the student oath is to remind students of their obligations to their art, instructors, fellow students, people outside of their school, and to society at large. The oath is generally repeated at the beginning of class, after students “bow in”. Bowing-in is a process that usually includes bowing simultaneously to the Korean flag and the flag of the country in which the school is located, bowing to the head instructor or photograph of the school’s founder, and finally, bowing to the instructor or instructors who will be conducting the class.
The Student Oath
1. I shall observe the tenets of Taekwon-Do
2. I shall respect all instructors and seniors
3. I shall never misuse Taekwon-Do
4. I shall be champion of freedom and justice
5. I shall strive to build a more peaceful world